Naringenin exerts a variety of pharmacological effects such as antioxidant activity, blood lipid lowering, anticancer activity, and inhibition of selected drug-metabolizing cytochrome P450 enzymes, including CYP3A4 and CYP1A2, which may result in drug-drug interactions in vivo.
Naringenin is a kind of natural flavonoid compounds, widely existing in the pomelo of rutaceous plants.
It is mainly coming from the enzymolysis of naringin with the functions of anti-microbial, anti-inflammation, antioxidant, preventing cough and eliminating phlegm, decreasing blood fat, anti-tumor and anti-cancer, spasmolysis, scavenging free radical, preventing and treating liver diseases, anti-platelet clotting, anti-atherosclerotic of arteries etc., widely used in the food, pharmaceutical and healthcare product industry etc.
1. Naringenin has anticancer effect , can kill various cancer cells .
2.Naringenin has protective effect on focal cerebral ischemia reperfusion in rats , and its mechanism may relate with its effective scavenging of free radicals. Naringenin significantly decreased the cerebral water content, reduced the volume of cerebral infarction of the impaired brain hemisphere,lowered the level of MDA and improved the activity of SOD in brain. This shows Naringenin can has protective effect on brain hemisphere .
3. Naringenin can significantly lower the plasma cholesterol concentration and the hepatic cholesterol content .
4. Naringenin has also been shown to reduce hepatitis C virus production by infected hepatocytes (liver cells) in
cell culture . This seem to be secondary to Narigenin ability to inhibit the secretion of very low density lipoprotein by the cells.
5. Naringenin has bioactive effect on human health as antioidant , free radical scavenger , antisepsis , anti-inflammatory , antispasmodic activity .
1. Applied in food field, add various drinks,wine and food as functional food additives.
2. Applied in health products, widely used in various health products prevent the symptoms of chronic diseases or menopausal syndrome.
3. Applied in cosmetics field, widely used in cosmetics delays aging and tightens skin, leaving skin smooth and delicate.
1.Harborne JB, Mabry TJ, Mabry H (1975) The flavonoids. Chapman and Hall, London
2.Heller W, Forkman G (1988) In: Harborne JB (ed) The flavonoids—Advances in research. Chapman and Hall, London, pp 399–425
3.Mol JNM, Robbins MP, Dixon RA, Veitkamp E (1985) Phytochemistry 24:2267–2269
4.Boland MJ, Wong E (1975) Eur J Biochem 50:383–389
5.Herrmann K (1979) Z Lebensm Unters Forsch 169:179–200
6.Hunt GM, Baker EA (1980) Phytochemistry 19:1415–1419
7.Galensa R (1979) Dissertation, Universität Hannover
8.Wu Ming-an, Burell RC (1958) Arch Biochem Biophys 74:114–118
9.Baker EA, Bukovac MJ, Hunt GM (1982) Linn Soc Symp Ser 10:33–44
10.Rudolph P (1987) Dissertation, Universität Münster
11.Bohm BA (1988) In: Harborne JB (ed) The flavonoids—Advances in research. Chapman and Hall, London, pp 329–388
12.Krause M, Galensa R (1990) J Chromatogr 502:287–296
13.Moustafa E, Wong E (1967) Phytochemistry 6:625–632
14.Wardale DA (1973) Phytochemistry 12:1523–1530